Carter Ryan

Saturday, October 2, 2010

A Birthday Blog for My Little Sister, Kristy...

Twenty-eight, not twenty-nine years ago today, July 18th, 1982, a Sunday, God completed my parents and our family with a daughter and a sister for Jennifer and I, Kristy Lynn. While a lot of time has passed I remember that day and the days that followed somewhat. Most clearly I remember going to the hospital with my PaPa and MaMa and my Dad showing my younger sister and I through the window the new baby who laid in a special bed with special lights and was to this day the biggest baby I have ever seen. I also remember Dad having her name written on a piece of white paper in perfect script. It would be Kristy with a K and a Y. (Not to be confused with Christy.) Perfect.

It was several days, (What seemed like an eternity.), before Mom and the new baby made it home. I remember the excitement. I mean, hello, her “belly button,” (umbilical cord stub), fell off her first day at home and couldn’t be found. I even went outside to investigate. It wasn’t there. This was going to be fun! A new sister, a new friend, a new partner in crime…

With our family now complete days passed and things happened. This child was different. She created more excitement, (Read terror and drama.), in her first few years than either Jennifer or I. Let’s see, she fell out of a window, lost a tooth, pushed a “friendship” bead so far up her nose it required surgery, had the Roto-Rooter man at our house at least once a month, and the list could go on and all before she was even two. What did we do before her? I am certain that life was boring.

Over the course of my childhood I watched that chubby little doll like being evolve from someone with a lisp, (Remember the missing tooth? It didn’t grow back until she was about 7.), who adored all things Barbie and the latest Disney movie, into the most caring and compassionate person I have ever had the great fortune of knowing. Kristy is that person who extends her hand and opens her heart to anyone. She is someone you would want your child to grow up and be like. With her character is king.

As the days of my childhood and adolescence came to an end I would lie awake at night and cry. She was the person I did not want to leave. She was the person after having left my heart would long for. I guess I can simply say, she is my person. She knows every single detail of my life, the good, the bad, and the ugly and still holds her arms open wide and loves me in spite of my many flaws. She is the person I would entrust my children to. She is the person I wish I could be in a lot of ways.

Happy Birthday my dear, sweet Kristy… I love you more than words could ever begin to express. You are a source of continual joy. I am so blessed to call you my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment