Carter Ryan

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Sweet 16...

Today, September 20th, 2010, marks the sixteenth anniversary of the day Eric and I began dating. Wow, that is half of my lifetime! I remember the day very well and I will save the mushy recollection for my grandchildren.

I honestly cannot believe that it has been 16 years. It really feels like yesterday. Well, maybe not yesterday. I mean there are two 18th birthdays, two high school graduations, 14 years of marriage (almost) and six kids worked in there. A long with his military career of 14 years (almost), three different state moves, multiple family births and deaths, a separation and countless other details. So, I guess it has been a long time since that skinny boy wearing a Stussy ball cap stood on my porch with a piece of grass in his mouth, (You know the kind that you chew as a kid here in Texas.), and asked me to go for a ride. Yes, it has been a ride! Funny that he put it exactly that way.

Life is truly like a roller coaster as are relationships. You go up, you go down, you spin around, you wait for the bottom to drop out from under you and you go again. There is joy and pain and sometimes you want to get off the roller coaster and never get back on but that is when being stubborn and hard headed work to your advantage.

I can’t imagine what my life would be without the happenings of 16 years ago and I really do not want to. No matter what I know that there is someone in my corner, someone who has my back, someone who loves me in spite of my countless flaws and the specific incident with the rice krispies.

As we prepare for our next turn on the roller coaster I look forward to what the future holds. May it be bright and filled with more joy and love than any two people deserve.

1 comment:

  1. so sweet, and I gotta say, it is knowing others have had the bottom drop out and still rode the ride together that helps me!

    ReplyDelete