Carter Ryan

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Happy 11th Birthday Erica Kayt!

Eleven years ago today I gave birth to a nine pound two ounce bundle of joy that I was not expecting, a baby girl, Erica Kayt. On the eve of her birth never would I have imagined how my life would change in a matter of twenty-four hours and all for the better.

As the mother of four sons and a daughter I can honestly say that there is something different in having a daughter. It is almost as if you have an extension of yourself living outside of your body. Not that it is not the same feeling with the boys, but it is different. More complex. In good ways and in bad. As a mother to a daughter you are her rock, you are her protector, and most of all, you are what she will model her life around. The latter is some task for not only mother, but daughter as well. Boys believe that their mothers can do no wrong. They protect you. Whereas with girls they have subtle ways of showing you what is and is not so good about yourself. A daughter is the reflection of her mother.

I will never forget after two hours of hard pushing the doctor holding a baby in her arms saying , “It is a girl!” The look on Eric’s face was well worth all the hard labor. It was as if he had been handed all the money in the world. (We went in under the guidelines we would be delivering our second son…) God had very different plans and as well all know His plans are the best plans. As Eric’s tears began to flow and excitement busted from the seams of his clothes I laid there in shock, fear, love and anticipation of what was to come. I was now the mother of a daughter.

I was blessed. Erica Kayt born an old soul was undoubtedly the easiest baby in the history of the universe. Rarely cried, rarely had a sniffle, rarely needed anything I was too tired or preoccupied to give. She began taking care of me and my needs long before she even knew how. Her elf-like little features, chubby body, and contagious smile made me so proud. She was as unique then as she is now.

Erica crawled at four months, walked at seven months, talked in complete sentences not too long after beginning to walk. She was most definitely on a mission. Erica was Elan’s confidant, playmate, protector, the apple of her daddy’s eye, and even at such a young age she was my rock and a safe place for me to lay my head.

Through the years Erica has made me proud. She is a risk taker. She is never afraid to put herself out there and try something new and well outside of her comfort zone. Erica exudes the confidence and determination that it takes to be successful. She truly is a joy.

As the years have passed, memories have faded, and pictures lay in their respectful homes it has been easy for me to forget over the past eleven years just how truly fortunate I became on that hot Colorado day in 1999. Erica Kayt, I love you. You are the strength of this family. You are not only my rock, but as well your Dad’s and your four, almost five brothers. God designed this family with you in mind and at the heart sweet girl. Each of us love and cherish you as a valuable possession.

Happy 11th Birthday Erica Kayt! My love for you cannot be expressed with enough words…

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

No comments:

Post a Comment